QUETZALTENANGO
Quetzaltenango is the second most important cuity in the Rubublic of Guatemala and obtained the title of city by decree on October 29th, 1825. Named as the "Capital of the Sixth State of the Highlands" in 1838, reincorporated back into Guatemala by decree of the Constituents Assembly on August 13th, 1840.

The city of Quetzaltenango currently has a population of 150 thousand residents and 50 thousand migrants that visit the city daily. In it's limits there are three distinct areas, the historic urban shell, an area of growth planned through the last century, and an unorganized ring of growth which can be found in the central part of the city. The city is located in the center of the mountainous highlands with more than 2,333 meter in altitud.
After the valley was conquered during the reign of the K'iche' in the XIV century, the region was recognized as Xelajú, meaning "Under the ten mountains", because of the ten mountains surrounding the valley. The Nahuatl that accompanied the Spanish conquerers gave the name Quetzaltenango, meaning, "The place of many Quetzals". The city was founded by the Spanish Conquerer, Pedro de Alvarado on May 12th, 1524.

Zona central de Quetzaltenango
The Bridge of Los Chocoyos
The center of the Calle Los Chocoyos, historically named so, continues to be the famous Bridge of Los Chocoyos, that was inaugerated on Sunday, December 23rd 1883, at a cost of 700 pesos. Built next to the street known at that time as the exit to the coast, today, 15th Avenida, Zone 1.

The original bridge was made from lime slate and wood at the base. Around 1893, it needed repair, for which, the the Counselman Arribillaga, raised money from the habitants of the neighborhood.
In 1908, the Bridge of Los Chocoyos threatened to collapse. For that reason all of the wood and flooring was changed and reinforced with steel rebar. Finally it was reconstructed by the Municipality of Quetzaltenango in 1928, leaving it as it is today.